BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 4, 2009

Do you believe we can change the future?...

I'm not gonna lie and say this has been an easy year for me. As we're approaching the end of 2009, I'm beginning to feel reflective (as I always do this time of year).


This year is a bit different, though. A lot is changing not just in my life, but in my family's and most of my friends lives as well.
My sister, Scarlett is getting married to her man, Jon. This is the big one!
I'm extremely excited to introduce myself to the Scarlett DeMoss, and a little sad(?) to say farewell to Scarlett Chambers.
My friendship with my sister began LONG before she can remember. I went with my Mom to all the doctor's appointments while she was pregnant, felt her kicking, and saw the progress of her growing in my Mom's tummy.
Then she was born.... She HATED me! Everytime I held her she screamed, although it probably had more to do with my lack of confidence as a 6 yr old.
We became fast friends. Appropriately named, Scarlett had a mean temper!... and also in true Gemini fashion, her moods could turn on a dime!
She made me play Barbie with her until I was 14, because she was sophisticated enough at the age of 5 to blackmail me by saying:
"If you don't play Barbie with me, then I'm gonna tell EVERYONE you play Barbie with me.."
HUH?? I didn't know how to say no to that.

It wasn't until I finally got something over on her that it stopped. I'm not proud of it, but when she was 8yrs old, she wanted to try my cigarette, and I let her. Then I told her,
"If you tell anyone about Barbie, I'll tell Mom and Dad you smoked!" Crestfallen, she conceded.

What does this have anything to do with changing the future?
Unconditional love and support from my dearest, most special Best Friend Forever, and Sister
helped me get out of the life and track I was on. I'm a recovering alcoholic, and because my family and friends, especially Scarlett never gave up on me, I can be the Brother I need to be for her during the craziness that is planning a wedding.

I know that her life is gonna change forever: A new name, starting her new family, creating new little people that hopefully have the same feeling of dedication and loyalty to each other that we share.

You can change your future. If you stay focused on what's important.
It's not Celebrity shit. Not Politics. Those things fall in and out of favor quickly.
We're here to love each other.
Spread it around!

I love you, Scarlett!!!

peace
R

1 comments:

Heather B said...

aww that is SO incredibly sweet!!!