BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Boundaries

Professional. PERSONAL. We all have them. We all CROSS them.


Let your's be known, and ask others to do the same. We expect our spouses, boyfriend/girlfriends to know and respect them. Don't cheat. Don't lie. Don't disrespect the relationship.

Why can't we ask the same of our: Parents, siblings, friends, co-workers, etc...?
To save having a confrontation? Going outside their comfort zone and truly being honest?
Fuck that! If I'm offending someone with my behavior or attitude, I would like to know so I could explain myself. I hate it when people PURPOSELY overstep a boundary, then back pedal, and only apologize for a situation getting out of hand, beyond their comfort zone, but NEVER apologize for overstepping in the first place.

I really don't care if people like me or what I say. However, I do try to respect people's boundaries and expect them to do the same.

Family members are tricky... they feel that because they've known you for your/their entire life, that you are consistently the same person they REMEMBER you to be. They usually fail to realize that as human beings, we evolve.... walk through the fires of hell, swim the oceans of guilt, and climb the mountains of personal fulfillment. If you make a mistake along the way, they MUST make mention that although you've navigated such difficult emotional obstacles, hurdles, GROWTH as an individual, you still weren't PERFECT doing so. Why give praise or acknowledge a job well done, when they can CROSS the BOUNDARY and make any achievement seem ALMOST enough, almost a SUCCESS, or that you are ALMOST WORTHY of receiving it?

I think we owe it to ourselves and the people we care about to be honest about what makes us tick. What we are and are not willing to put up with from them. Explain in a kind way that sometimes they don't know us at all.... and that its okay if they don't approve. Its not their life, and their approval isn't necessary... Set your boundaries. Move on to the next challenge life throws at you. They can either join you for the ride or stay behind and judge you...

peace,
R

0 comments: